Tuesday 10 April 2007

One month in London

My first month has been an easy and hard all at the same time. I didn’t really expect to have a job this quickly but I did expect to have found somewhere to live.

It has been feeling pretty much like a holiday up until the end of my trip to Sweden and now it’s starting to feel like my real life. I find London itself reasonably easy – the public transport is fairly easy and having a job makes me feel fairly secure. Although I do still feel it’s much more pretend at home – you just don’t have to care about so much that you do at home.

One of the things that I have discovered about myself that seems significantly more noticeable here than at home is my vertigo! I was always a bit wary at home but it seems to be quite a bit worse here – the super long escalators on the tube are always a challenge!

I have loved being able to hang out with Jules again and I think having her and Guy here for my first month made things so much easier and I think I will definitely feel their absence keenly over the next few months.

I think once I have a place to live and a bank account (finally) I’ll feel a little more secure in London town. Knowing that more visitors and trips are just around the corner get me through the 5.30 am wake ups!

I’ve noticed more than anything though the generosity of people. People are so willing to help you out with information, let you crash on their floor, join their French lessons etc. I have never before had to rely on other people so much and everyone has been so very generous.

A special note to Jess – Mick Thomas is playing in Camden and I so wish you were here to go with me!

No comments: