Friday 16 March 2007

My first week in London

So I’ve made it through my first week in London. I’m still jobless and without my own place to live (a big thanks to those who are letting me doss!) which are completely foreign challenges for me.

The looking for a place is an interesting test, especially as I’ve never lived with anybody but family and they generally have been pretty tolerant of my OCD tendances (thank you Jess). I keep emailing and checking out places and here’s a synopsis of this weeks viewings:

The Clapham trek – 3 places in 90 mins – only made 2 of them and the 1st one didn’t answer the door. Learned to stop and look at my A-Z and houses of six aren’t for me.

The Islington close but no cigar – such a great house, fantastic spot and a great room. However, I just couldn’t see it working with a live in landlord who works from home!

The Museum house – a lovely little flat, in a nice residential area but next to a massive private school and given my minimal tolerance for noise, particularly of basketballs, this wasn’t for me. Again, a live in landlord and a flat complete with family portraits from the 18th century (2 of them were over 6 foot).

Today’s was an okay flat with a weird shower in the closet (I wish I could have taken a photo) but the area was a bit dodge and surrounded by council housing. Not sure I could have got past the blue plush carpet either.

And before anyone sends me an email, I’m aware my standards are probably too high but I’ll hold out as long as I can!

The job hunt is going okay. Despite sending off resumes to various agencies I’m not getting a lot of response. There’s some positive news though – the agency I spoke to earlier in the week had put me forward for a position and I have an interview on Monday. Not exactly the direction I was hoping for but it’s a contract role and they pay well so I’ll see how that goes.

I spent Wednesday hanging out with a friend from home and we went to the Portrait Gallery which was amazing. There are portraits from the 16th century to present day and I only made it through 100 years! It provides the most amazing visual history of England. I will definitely be going back for the 400 years I didn’t get to see. Then onto a pub for lunch and a poke around Covent Garden markets which weren’t anything spectacular. We did happen to come across St Paul’s Church and it was a lovely place to visit. As it’s in the middle of the theatre district many playwrights and actors are buried there. There earliest market we could find was from the early 1700 with markers to current day.

Thursday was French class which was a bit of a debacle but it was lovely to catch up with Alison and meet some of her friend. \The lesson didn’t exactly go as planned and the classes might be a bit delayed trying to find a slightly more organised company! But the bus afterwards and practicing our numbers was fun.

There are plans to be out and about celebrating St Paddy’s day tomorrow so I’m sure there will be more stories to tell on Sunday. Jules, Guy and I are hoping to go to Kew Gardens on Sunday which I loved last time I was here and I’m sure the weather will be considerably nicer!

No comments: