Tuesday 13 March 2007

Learning London style

I’ve come to London hoping to expand my life experience and maybe even learn a lesson or two along the way and London came to the party tonight.

I’ve been emailing my little heart out looking for a place to live and with typical unrealistic ambition I booked to see 3 places tonight, all within half an hour of each other at Clapham. What I didn’t plan for was that they were at opposite ends of Clapham…and the life lesson goes like this:

If you think you’re going the wrong way you probably are. Do not quickly skim your A-Z and think it’ll be alright. It will not be alright, it’s a very long way the wrong way around Clapham Common. Lesson number one – study your A-Z!

Lesson number two – read ads on gumtree carefully. I am not now nor will I ever be willing to share a house with 6 people and only 2 bathrooms (please let this not come back to spite me in 4 weeks when I’m still unemployed and desperate!)

So I technically I made 2 of my 3 appointments. Admittedly I was 15 mins late to the 1st one and apparently for “Brendan”, tardiness is not a desirably quality in a flatmate as the lights were but nobody was home – literality.

I missed my second appointment and instead trudged up the hill to appointment number three to the house of six.

I've had a lovely couple of days and London is putting the best possible weather for me. I was actually hot today!

I had my interview with the recruitment firm today and the consultant was very positive that I would get a job quickly and when taken with the necessary pinch of salt was reassuring.

I spoke to Alison today (she’s just back from Germany) and I’m starting a six week French class with Al and her friends on Thursday. I’m really looking forward to it and if it goes well I’m might look at taking it further.

Tomorrows plans are to visit a museum but to be honest I’m too tired to remember which one! And of course, there will be more flats to visit!

I know I’ve been slack on the phone calls already but I should have my UK mobile organised tomorrow so I’ll get in touch with people then.

Jules, Guy and I visited Harrods yesterday and here’s our photographic proof!

1 comment:

Gil said...

Hey Libba,

So good to hear about your trip like this. Great photo of you and Jules. She hasn't changed at all! Please say hello for me.

Text me your UK number and I'll give you a ring. Good luck with the job hunting.

Have fun hon,

Gil